Superfoods and the power of antioxidants in one bite
Aug 25, 2022
Yes, superfoods exist and they are where you least expect them. Some of the most powerful superfoods may already be in your kitchen, waiting for you. Superfoods are very popular, especially for fans of a healthier lifestyle. But let's get to the truth: who are they? And what is so special about entering the superhero category? So much pressure… calm down. We explain everything.
Super… what?: the introduction you need to superfoods
High in phytonutrients, superfoods concentrate many nutrients in small amounts. They are good for your health in general and have benefits beyond the nutritional ones.
In addition, they can be rich in fiber and improve intestinal transit or contain many omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, which favor the cardiovascular system. They may also have a high content of antioxidant vitamins and minerals that help prevent aging and disease. degenerative. But how do antioxidants work in our body?
it is when it's time to call the antioxidants on stage
Antioxidants are chemicals that help stop the damage caused by free radicals. That is, molecules that damage cells, that accelerate aging and cause various diseases.
Free radicals are also created by the body naturally, due to cellular metabolism. However, production can increase in response to factors such as pollution or a high-fried diet.
But did you know that we naturally produce antioxidants? It is true. But it still doesn't always arrive. And, in these cases, it is necessary to ask for an extra help to the antioxidants that we can get from food.
But what are antioxidants and where are they?
Generally speaking, they are easy to find: in fruits, vegetables and, for example, in whole grains. But to get to know them better, we might as well move on to the presentations:
- Vitamin E. This vitamin with antioxidant power is found in vegetable oils, wheat germ, whole grains, seeds, nuts.
- Vitamin C This vitamin is famous, isn't it? And as you already know it is found in citrus. But not only: it is also found in strawberries, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, potatoes.
- Vitamin A. This is a vitamin that you can find in sweet potatoes, carrots, milk or egg yolks, for example.
- Carotenoids. Carotenoids are great food allies and are found in sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, pumpkin, broccoli.
- Zinc. An important mineral that you can find in seafood, lean meats, milk, nuts.
- Selenium. Now here's another mineral to include in the kitchen that you can find in seafood, lean meats, whole grains.
- Copper. Looking to include more of this mineral in your meals? Look for it in seafood, lean meats, milk, nuts.
- Flavonoids. They are powerful substances that you can find in teas, citrus fruits, red wine, onions, apples.
Now that you're a superfood guru, are you feeling the pressure to improve your diet? We hope so. Just to give you a little extra help, here's our top 5 most powerful superfoods.
The 5 Most Powerful Superfoods
1 | Açaí
A small berry from the Amazon that has a slightly bitter taste. It is widely consumed in shakes, porridge or smoothies. It's ours acai smoothie it is a unique combination with the freshness of açaí and the natural sweetness of several fruits.
2 | Avocado
The fashion superfood. Versatile, it can be eaten raw or used in preparations, such as the famous guacamole. You can add it to salads, use it as a spread on toast or drink it. have you tried our avocado juice?
3 | Red fruits
A group that includes fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. They are perfect natural and can be added to yogurts, salads or a variety of confections. And whoever says confections, also says very fresh juices like ours red fruit juice.
4 | Pomegranate
Low in calories and diuretic, it is the weight loss superfood. It is consumed raw, in salads and in various culinary preparations. Our favorite way? One pomegranate juice, clear.
5 | Ginger and Turmeric
Are both roots and have many health benefits. Ginger comes from China, while turmeric (turmeric) comes from India and Indonesia.
Now you need to know: superfoods can be great allies, but they are not miraculous. And, of course, they are not a substitute for consistent healthy habits. Still, it's nice to be able to count on them whenever you need an extra boost.